1976 A “Study Group” was formed by several people who had heard of UFMCC & were interested in establishing such a church in San Antonio: worship meetings were first held in private homes & then at Penny’s Pub (a local gay bar). Alvis Strickland of MCC Dallas was appointed by the MCC District Committee to come to San Antonio every other weekend to conduct services.
1977: The Study Group was approved for affiliation with UFMCC & Rev. David Pellitier, who had befriended the group, arranged for them to hold services in the local Unitarian Church. Rev. Judy Davenport became the worship coordinator.
1978: Rev. James Lewey became worship coordinator, & mission status for the San Antonio group was approved by MCC District Leaders.
1979: MCCSA was incorporated with a membership of 27 people & received full church status. Rev. Lewey was elected first pastor of MCCSA & served that capacity for 16 years.
1980: MCCSA purchased its first building at 107 S. Pine St. in San Antonio.
1984: MCCSA bought its second building at 1136 W. Woodlawn Ave. in San Antonio, & met temporarily in a building on Rittiman Rd while the Woodlawn church was being renovated.
1985: MCCCSA moved into the Woodlawn Ave. church.
1995: Rev. Marilyn Marr was appointed Interim pastor of MCCSA.
1996: MCCSA bought & moved to its current location at 611 E. Myrtle St. in San Antonio. The purchase was made possible by a bequest from the estate of Jerry Kaufmann, a member of the church. The church Social Hall is named after him.
1997: Rev. John Nicholas was installed & served as pastor til 10/2005.
01/2006: Pastor Kevin Downer was appointed as Interim Pastor to MCCSA til 12/31/06.
12/2006: Rev. Mick Hinson was elected as the pastor of MCCSA.
03/2007: Rev. Hinson assumed duties as MCCSA Pastor.
07/2016: Rev. Hinson retired to pursue Professional Chaplaincy.
12/2016: Pastor Tony Spears assumed duties as Interim Pastor.
11/2017: Rev. Dr. William H. Knight was installed as Pastor.